Accommodation | Self Catering
This late 18th century Highland farm house is close to the shore of Loch nan Uamh in the Sound of Arisaig. Borrodale is 4 miles east of Arisaig on the Road to the Isles. Fort William is 30 miles away and Mallaig 12 miles.
The house sleeps up to 16. The accommodation is as follows.
a large sitting room cum dining room with a table for up to 16 people and a wood-burning stove
a separate drawing room with open fire and a small dining room
3 double and 5 twin bedrooms
4 bathrooms (2 with bath, 1 with shower and 1 with bath/shower)
Electric central heating
Television (with VCR & DVD)
Music centre - tape & CD.
Dish and clothes washing machines - and clothes drying machine.
Electric oven and hobs (4), and microwaves Croquet & badminton sets
Table tennis, pool table and dart board in the steading
Let runs from 4pm Saturday to 10am Saturday
Prices from £1575 to £2050/week for 2011
About the House
Borrodale is a handsome, substantial three storey Highland house. Its category B listing describes it as late 18th and early 19th century building incorporating an earlier fabric with minor alternations in 1864.
Borrodale Burn runs along the western edge of the garden.
At the rear of the house are extensive farm buildings completed in 1864 to meet the requirements of a home farm on a large Highland estate, designed by the well-known Arts & Crafts architect Philip Webb; the 'steading' is also category B listed.
Few parts of the western Highlands have a closer association with the Jacobite cause than Borrodale. It was at Borrodale Bay that Charles Edward Stuart, 'Bonnie Prince Charlie', first set foot on the Scottish mainland on 25 July 1745. Borrodale House, then owned by Clanranald and let to Angus MacDonald of Borrodale, served both as his headquarters and his living accommodation whilst he was canvassing the support of local clansmen. It was from here that he left for Moidart and the Raising of the Standard at Glenfinnan on 19 August 1745.
A year later the Prince, fleeing from the forces of King George, returned briefly to Borrodale. Lady Catriona MacDonald of Borrodale gave him one of her plaids. This garment was subsequently divided into pieces as mementos of the Stuart cause, one such piece now displayed in the Highland Museum in Fort William. Prince Charles embarked from a bay on the loch, some two miles east of Borrodale on a ship bound for France. The original house was burnt down in 1746.
It is a 10 minute walk along a sweeping pasture to the shores of Loch nan Uamh.
From the beach, the view to the east is to the head of the loch and the West Highland Railway viaduct, to the west Ardnamurchan Point.
The area offers plenty of opportunities for hiking, fishing, boat trips, golf, etc.
Guided walks are available with the local ranger, including one starting at Borrodale and taking in Bonnie Prince Charlie's caves, the Borrodale Viaduct and the Borrodale Falls.
By road - on the A830 about 30 miles from Fort William, three quarters of a mile past Beasdale station on the left.
By rail - get off at Beasdale station (request stop) on the Fort William to Mallaig line.
All bookings are through:
Large Holiday Houses
Tel: 01256 389279 (international +44 1256 389279)
Send enquiry to Borrodale House
The Road to the Isles Marketing Group publishes information on its member Accommodation Providers in good faith but does not operate its own quality assurance scheme. Some of the members, who also subscribe to VisitScotland, are covered by the VisitScotland Quality Assurance scheme but other members are not.
The Group cannot accept any responsibility for standards of quality or safety which are the sole responsibility of the accommodation provider in question.